Nuffnang

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Diary of my life in Cambodia 3

Day 13, 17 October 2012 Wednesday

On the way to the center today, I see HOARDS of ppl in white lining the street, all the way from central PP to the airport. I know the King's father's body is coming back from Beijing today but I didn't know there'd be SOOOO many ppl. They say 3pm but ppl are waiting since 12+! Julie said there'd be no Cambodia today if not for him. I could see they really regarded him w reverence. Coincidentally, I was wearing white too! So I joined in the procession along the main street & stood for 1.5hr waiting! Under the hot sun! I feel like I'm about to get heatstroke alr. Suddenly, everybody cheered when a plane flew v low over us. I thought it'd started! Turns out the plane just arrived! After 1.5hr of standing! I'd not done this, not for national day or anything. But when the coffin car finally drove past, everybody was praying for the King's late 90yr old father, me included. Officials were in their luxe cars, soldiers in official smart uniform, monks chanting. I feel honoured to be able to witness this historical moment & participate in their custom. So technically there's no classes today cos every family were waiting for this. Only my evening class. Super tired today!




Day 14, 18 October 2012 Thursday

Confession: I'm afraid of slping w all the lights off in an unfamiliar place. That's why I've been slping with a dim orangey light on for the past 13 nights. Ytd was the 1st time I off the toilet lights haha! Although I always say I'm not scared not scared, act brave & all, deep down in my bones, I'm actually a vvv timid scaredy cat :/ Like... I'll always imagine scary things. The eerie wardrobe & weird noises makes me uncomfy, but dunno why I'll MAKE myself take a deep breath, be mentally prepared & look inside, just to prove that there's nth maybe.
Today, I came back v happy :) I feel so satisfied w my evening class students. I feel proud seeing them improve each day. I feel pure happiness as I stand by the door watching little Vichea w his schoolbag waving & walking towards me. I feel exhilarated seeing Thida spell correctly without copying this time. My class has more & more new students, which encourages me tremendously cos I know they're here becos they like my lessons. I have so much hope for them becos they really wanna learn. After public sch in the day, they're still willing to come to the center. Most kids just want to roam around & play. Having been to The Killing Fields, I now und part of why parents don't want their kids to learn is becos of the Khmer Rouge era. Can you imagine how this man Pot Pol affected ppl even until today? Infuriating! Good thing these kids are sensible. As compared to those who came but quit, those kids who rather pick rubbish, & those who're playing w mud just outside while we're learning, I'm vv sure they will grow up to be v diff.
This wk, I noticed there's much lesser students in the afternoon. I only come at 1pm everyday so I'm not sure about morning class but Seth said there's hardly any students. Could be becos of the festival or the king's father's death. But today, Julie & Seth got into an argument! Supposedly becos Ravy gotta leave early but Julie don't wanna teach his class. But he took over her last wk when she left sick! She asked the kids to go home at 3 when class is supposed to end at 4. How can a teacher be reluctant to teach?! She's getting paid but she just wanna slack. I think her working attitude is so wrong. Had a talk w Seth & he says that when she comes in, she hopes there's no students so she can do nth, maybe that's why some students stopped coming. & he made reference to my class saying the kids like me so they look forward to lessons & like coming to the center everyday :)
Went into the village today to look for Darlin cos she'd been missing lessons for 2 days alr. It'd be a pity & I don't want her to quit. Actually was kinda afraid of stepping on dead rats this time haha! Had rice for dinner today! Probably the 2nd time I had rice these 2 wks.






Day 15, 19 October 2012 Friday

Woke up feeling weak all over. The dreaded feeling I get before it develops into full blown fever/sore throat back home. I really don't think I'll get sick on this trip, cos I always think I'm v strong. I only brought the medicines to put ah ma & my parents' mind at ease. Guess I'll have to eat them now. Sigh but this run-down hotel don't have spoon/cup/water boiler... how to eat Chinese medicine? :(
Already thought of what to teach today so I didn't wanna miss a lesson. Stopped by the supermarket to get a bread- my 1st meal of the day. But I can't even take a bite. Just feel like vomiting. Shawn's friend's Ian was at the center when I reached. Heard his name so many times but it's the 1st time I see him. Really can't take it so I slept in the car for an hr. Unlike my usual energetic self, was feeling really bad during lesson. Had a couple more new students. After lesson I just wanna go back rest so I went to dabao fish porridge. After I ordered then I remembered Ian's cooking my share for dinner. Don't wanna waste his effort so tee & I headed back to Ian's place. Tee is so cute, he asked Ian if he can dabao the leftovers for his wife when he know that's spaghetti. ATM it suddenly struck me.. they might never eaten this before. The average Cambodian only earn USD60-150, and food alone costs USD2-4 for a decent meal. So it bewilders me how they survive, accommodation & all. Now I know they mostly eat @ home & cook mostly vegs. I think it's v nice Ian invited tee to dinner & not just treat him like a driver. I really couldn't eat, but also didn't wanna make the host misunderstand so I forced myself to eat more. Did the dishes for Ian as thanks for his hospitality. I think that's only right. But my god I actually did dishes! Can't believe. Erm when I wash dishes I'll use ALOT of water, even for 1 spoon. I noticed ppl who're seasoned will wash v fast & it looks anyhow. Not for me I'll really rinse it alot of times, use alot of water & make sure it's clean. Dunno why.
After dinner Ian suddenly wanted to go elsewhere, have a drink or massage. Wanted to call it a night but too polite to decline. Put the fish porridge in my room & made myself vomit, which at least relieved myself abit of the discomfort. Riverside is closed. The whole stretch of restaurants? Becos of the King's father's death no drinking or merry-making is allow for 3 mths before it's cremated. Really? There's hotels on the riverside so how are they gonna get out if the road is blocked? Don't want alcoholic drinks so I got fruit juice at Skybar. Wow my eyes literally twinkle at the names of fruits. I haven't eaten fruits since I came here! In so much pain now I'm writing this lying down. My stomach's so painful I can't stand straight, have to bend down like an old man w his cane :(



Day 16, 20th October 2012 Saturday

Was afraid to stand up when I woke up today, cos I'm afraid I'll feel the unbearably sharp pain in my stomach. Only got out of bed at 2+, that's a full 12hr lying down! Luckily the pain subsided a huge bit. I dunno what's wrong w my stomach! Is it the Cambodia brand mineral water I drink? Or the char siew rice I ate that night which left me feeling bloated ever since. Or I've been drinking too much coke that thins my stomach lining? But in fact I drank coke today & it actually made me feel better! Eventful day! My plan was to go to the center for my lesson. But Tee called me 10min after I inform him that he gotta bring his son to the hospital. I suspect it's an excuse cos Ian said he always go MIA after he tipped him. Ian brought me to central market, which is one of PP's attractions. It reminds me of lau pa sat, mustafa & bugis street combined. We had beancurd at this stall opp sorya sc opened by a singaporean. He always go around eating beancurd cos he want to bring this biz into PP. Then Ian suggested a movie. I decided on Taken 2. Usually by this time I'll start being on guard.. like "radar on". I'll start shutting down & not being myself. But I try to be neutral & also I wanna watch that movie v much. After that, had dinner at san duo, whose name reminds me of 126. There's a F.O.S opp. The branded apparels are so cheap! Been to the export shop @ Sihanouk blvd but I don't even bother to browse. Shall come back here before I go back SG!









So cute right the kids clothes! If I have money left I'm coming back to get for teng teng


The Independence Monument. Look so gorgeous at night



Day 17, 21st October 2012 Sunday

Slept v late last night @ 6am+ watching tv & googling on visas cos I needa know how many days I can stay in Cambodia. Turns out it's 30. Was kinda shocked when I looked into the toilet at 5.45am & saw sunlight shining into the tinted glass. It's daybreak alr! Here in Cambodia, it gets bright v early. Same for night, their 6pm is like our 8pm. Watched Red Riding Hood on HBO when I woke up surprisingly early. I always thought that's a horror film & whenever I see horror on a movie's genre I'll steer clear of it cos I don't dare to watch. But IMDB said it's not scary so... braced myself up a lil. Ordered pizza delivery @ 4pm, that settles lunch & dinner. It's 9.30pm now & I just finished bathing & washing my clothes. Same for washing clothes I can't help rinsing & twisting, repeating them umpteen times for the same piece of cloth to make sure there's no more soap. Inception is playing now. It's the 1st time I watch it. Didn't watch it in the cinema & I've been wanting to watch it online but haven't got to doing it. I'm a dreamer. V much so. I swear I've dreamt that I'm in a dream before, even before I know what this movie is about. In that dream, I had woken up, but I know I'm still asleep. In short, I'm dreaming that I'm in a dream. It was SHOCKING that feeling. Even after I wake up I lay there stunned at this revelation, unable to retract myself. I dream almost everyday, some v nonsensical stuff. Crocodiles, my grandma, funfairs etc. Some I can even rem clearly after I wake up. The most random one just last wk is playing captain ball w kl & Aldrich LOL WTF.


Day 18, 22nd October 2012 Monday

Dreamt of my family last night, but now I forgot about what -.- Still feeling v bloated when I wake up, even after a weekend! I swear it must be the char siew rice, but I dunno why? It's just plain rice & char siew. Now I don't dare to eat there anymore :( Couldn't finish my breakfast @ Spinelli today- 1st time. And I usually order more. Today I only had bread, eggs & ham & I couldn't finish half my eggs. Was SO full I feel like vomiting. Everytime I eat at Spinelli, I'll always go to the toilet immediately after. Everytime. But the good kind haha. Booked my flight tickets back to SG today. Seth started his part time 5-7pm job @ another sch, so there's nobody to help me translate. It's esp hard to communicate & they haven't learn to construct sentences so can only use one word one word. & even then it's so tough to und. Taught 'Opposites' today. On the way back home, all I could think of is what to teach the class tml. I think the lesson today is quite boring so thinking how to improve. This afternoon I was just thinking how good the weather is recently, unlike the 1st few days I come, & it started raining in the evening -.- Dabao KFC as dinner. Their chickens are so puny! And their whipped potato is scooped on the spot unlike SG's. Plus the gravy is saltier too. Now I know why coke makes me feel better. Cos it's gassy & makes me want to burp. I always thought indigestion & constipation goes tgt. But I don't have problems w the latter leh. Just indigestion which makes me vv sick :(





Tee can barely speak eng (but I can agar agar und), the kids can't, & I can't speak khmer. So he was checking the eng-khmer dictionary, saying it out in khmer & asking Thida to write it down. V messy & clumsy lesson for all of us.

1 comment:

lin rongxiang said...

Remember to call home /\

Related Posts with Thumbnails