Nuffnang

Friday, September 6, 2013

Spaghetti Bolognese + Bacon-wrapped scallops

One of my fav US reality tv show is Masterchef. I dunno about other ppl but after watching it, I have the "feel" to cook! Like WOW how nice would it be if I can cook like them... if I have a pantry & masterchef kitchen too. But everytime I look at recipes I REALLY want to try to replicate the dish, but it's so confusing. It says milk. But there's so many diff kinds of milk. Whole milk, skimmed milk, fresh milk or what? Cream: whipped cream, heavy cream, light cream... &... what is creme fraiche? Everytime I come across unfamiliar terms I have to google, I google so much I'm so tired :( And there's measuring which is maddening.


The other day, I just really wanted to cook something... something easy yet delicious. So after breakfast at KFC we went to the supermarket for grocery shopping. When I think of easy I just automatically think of spaghetti. That's the dish Randy taught me in 3min. All you need is a bottle of the pasta sauce, & custom make it to suit your tastebuds w the ingredients you like!


I got whole white button mushrooms, although I don't really like mushrooms cos... I dunno what to add so I got the exact same ingredients Randy got the other time in Cambodia.



Ta-dah! Here's my starters! I had the best, finest, mindblown scallops wrapped w bacon at Coolabah hotel in Sihanoukville, Cambodia. So here is my attempt at trying to replicate it.



First, you pan-fried the bacon. I never used to like bacon. I think it's so hard & salty, but I fell in love w it after Randy made breakfast for me one day :)



Next, seared the scallops w the oil the bacon produced. So no need to add oil.



After it's done, leave it aside & start working on your main course. Add some olive oil (I made my family switch to olive oil for all cooking cos its so much healthier), throw in the chopped mushrooms, & other ingredients like minced pork if you like.


At the same time, cook the pasta in boiling water. The pasta I'm using here is Angel's hair. Sidenote: I'm so clumsy! I cooked my pasta in a saucepot (maybe a tad too small) & expect it to just fall in nicely. So I concentrate on the mushrooms while leaving my pasta to cook. And it got burnt -.- Guess I have zero chance in becoming a Masterchef :(



I get distracted easily while surfing the net. Look I just stopped typing mid-way & spent 45min googling on good cookware. Aluminium vs stainless steel... which brands are good, how to choose etc. *facepalm


Anw back to my burnt pasta. I don't get how anyone can manage to burn pasta damn how stupid can I be. Apparently the spaghetti didn't cook fast enough & got stuck to the pot when it got too hot. But it's ok! Just strain it & remove the burnt strands. No big deal aye?




Then, add the bottle of bolognese sauce (I didn't have a specific brand so I just grabbed the one left on the shelf), stir it w the mushrooms (I also added bacon bits from the bacon I fried earlier), then add the strained pasta & stir it a little longer. Looks pretty decent?



But honestly, it kinda sucked. Mum rated it a 6/10 & said it wasn't bad but I think it's too sour. Nasty even. Oh well I don't really like pasta anyway (mentaiko pasta is exception). The bacon wasn't fried long enough too... it tastes nothing like the one Coolabah made. And it's super salty :(




Overall kinda failed. But I won't give up! Last night I was watching an episode of Masterchef S4 & the challenge was calamari. You got it... now I have the "feel" for cooking calamari. Damn everytime I watch that show it never fails to made me salivate. And I also remember reading an entry on Shiberty's blog about Thai Green Curry so I have the feel to cook that too. Hahaha too much!

I LOVEEEE food. I think it's a great way to share among friends & family too. But it's kinda hard to cook for a v large grp so I'll probably invite small grps of friends to come over for gatherings w my cooking! Meaning be my guinea pig. I promise to put in more effort next time!

1 comment:

Lin Rongxiang said...

It's the camera & either the room lighting or daytime sunlight that's good lah. Make the bacon look machiam like wahh. Well keep it up always enjoy a good gluttonish cook's blog anytime i guess;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails