Nuffnang

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Bali: Full day tour!

Goa Gajah/Coffee Plantation/Mt. Batur/Spring Temple/Rice Terrace
02 Dec 2010


Continuing from the previous entry, what's in the day's intinery? Read the title... yeah! That's the number of attractions we visited in just 1 day! So previously I stopped at the part where our driver was waiting for us in the hotel lobby. I actually found him off the list of recommended drivers in Tripadvisor, & after comparing days of reviews, I emailed him.


So off we hopped on his 7-seater Arena & go!










Wore my back-revealing playsuit, & I didn't even bother to apply sunscreen. Until my mum asked, & I got scared, then I quickly borrowed sis'.








Mum (she looks excited!) & sis






That's my dad in the front seat with Sila, our driver


















It was a good 1.5hr drive away. On the way, you could see alot of things about Bali. There's lots of stores selling handicraft, ornaments, furniture, & you could see countless of these statues lining the roadside.


I didn't manage to take a good photo of those, but the status look really magnificent. Imagine how much it'd have cost in SG as compared to here? But Sila say that when you buy something you must be very alert as very often the seller will quickly switch the item you choose when you're not looking, before giving you that bag.









Yes that's all we took with us.... Mum's bag & my camera. Everything was left in the car: Our luggage, our bags, my laptop, everything! And Sila didn't even follow us throughout the tour of Goa Gajah. He could jolly well drive off with all our stuffs. Hell, we don't even know where in Bali are we, much less say get around or ask for help (Can't speak their language!).


But time & again, Sila proved us wrong. I was so relieved when I saw him waiting for us at the entrance/exit where we walked in. He even warned us beforehand not to fall for anyone pushing us to buy something or use their services cos they're cheats.







They have many of such stores located at the entrace, although most of them sell similar things as each other. And if one is lower, the other will lower their price too. Very fascinating how they can make such things out of a piece of wood/fabric (I assume most are handmade?) They pass down the art from generation to generation.









That's me with Sila in the background.


Everyone have to wear a sarong when entering their temple, as a form of respect for their God. It is to cover your legs, esp for ladies. But since I'm wearing long pants, the caretaker said I don't have to wear a sarong.
Huh? It is not ok to expose your legs, but it's ok to expose your sexy back? 


A little illogical, but well, it's their custom :) I still wore one to experience their culture.














The above picture was taken by a guy who approached & offered to help us take. Then after taking this picture, we said thanks & wanted to go inside the cave. He followed us & told us about the history while walking. Of course it'll be rude to just walk ourselves while he's talking right? So I just nodded & let him tell us about the statue.


Sila didn't follow us in becos I asked if he could go back to the vehicle to help us look after our stuff (I thought it'll be unsafe). There's another buddhist temple if we walked on, but we wanted to go back. And this guy told us about his kids & if we could spare him some money for his service! For a few photos & a 10-min tour!


At first he said any amount.... then he said USD $7 would be good. We gave him SGD $6, then he said, "Maybe $10?" WTF!! I feel so conned. Previously you already know how simple a life balinese lead, & money small to us are big to them. Sila's full day tour (8-10hr) service including carpark fee & petrol is about SGD $60... & this guy here just earned $10 so easily?



Big big spider that we spot




Was feeling thirsty so bought a coconut from this nice lady. And guess how much it is? After converting, it's only SGD $1+!!! Freaking cheap if you ask me. And it's extremely heavy too. We couldn't even finish it. I bet a coconut 1/4 the size of this in SG would cost $3+ already.









Spent a longgggg time shopping at the stores. Must've been 30min or more. I bought a yellow scarf which I wore immediately. And halfway through shopping I got really scared that Sila would be gone. So I hurried them & walked really fast, heart thumping. I was looking for the car plate number.... & there I found it! Whew~~


Next stop: Coffee Plantation





Haha it's so touristy of me... everything also want to take photos with.

Before that through email, Sila & I already discussed on the itinery & where I'd like to visit. So I told him my preferences after googling the places of interest & of cos using Tripadvisor. I depend on Tripadvisor alot. We worked out the possibilities but it's not cast in stone, can still change plans along the way.



That's Sila showing me Cocoa beans ( I think?)



The woman behind me is the one roasting the coffee beans, not me. I'm just posing for a photo Photobucket



Roasted & unroasted coffee beans







The world's most expensive coffee, Kopi Luwak, is produced by this cute animal here, which the balinese affectionately call Luwak. I did a google search & its real name is called Asian Palm Civet.


So, the Luwak will eat the coffee beans, it'll pass through its digestive tract & the coffee beans are then defecated (which is really just shitting!). And they're very picky eaters lor... only eat the pulp of the beans. Wow the world's most expensive coffee people drink is actually passed out from a civet!






The plantation's very nice to offer free tasting. I was kinda surprised to hear cos I only expected a walk. But of course they're only doing so in hope that you'll buy their coffee. No obligations though.










Everyone's happy!

They gave us different kinds of coffee to try- Lemon coffee, Ginseng coffee, Balinese Coffee, Chocolate coffee- 5 altogether if I'm not wrong. Notice Kopi Luwak is not included? That's because it's too expensive to be included for free tasting. I like the lemon one :)










I took this picture to write it down actually... but I'm too lazy to type. (Plus I've already summarize it above in the introduction!) You guys can read yourself if you want.



Neighbouring tables




At the end of the tour, you'll pass by a shop like this on the way out. I think the coffees are quite expensive though. So we only bought a few for friends & relatives.







You can see caucasians all around Bali... like 90% of visitors are caucasians. Initially when I read reviews of hotels/villas on Tripadvisor, I realised alot of them come to Bali for honeymoons. And then I thought, why would anyone want to come here for honeymoons?! I sure as hell don't want to, I'd sure chose Europe or something.


Only until like the 2nd day do I realised it's because Asian countries are so faraway from their countries... so an air ticket would costs approx. $1.3k to them if they were to fly here. Just like how we don't wanna go to Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia for our honeymoons, people from the UK don't wanna go to Paris (or France to Spain) for theirs too.


Because they could go there anytime during a normal weekend! Much like how we drive in to JB. 





The big one costs around SGD $25, & it's really not alot.




For lunch, we went to Kintamani, which is on the way.

We're having lunch where we can have full view of the volcano! Woohoo!!~ Photobucket Which means that we have to drive up the mountains, & on the way, I can feel my ears blocked. It's due to the increase in altitude, just like how an aeroplane is leaving ground.






While driving in, we have to make the entrance fees first, it's a drive-through. So while waiting, a bunch of 6-7yr old girls came up to our car window holding basketful of accesories & pencils, trying to sell to us. Their expression look so pitiful. Then sis bought a packet of 10 pencils for Rp 20,000 & what happened afterwards is crazy.


When you buy from one, the other kids will push you theirs, hoping you'll buy more. We said no, & the little girl offer 10,000 for a packet. She look like she's going to cry, saying "Please, please." We decline again, & she offered 10,000 for ALL. A basketful of packets of pencils. And mind you, Rp 10000 is only SGD $1.50


But Sila drove off before we could buy, other cars are queing behind. It's not like mac's drive-through, it's much more crowded & unorganized. And guess what?


THE LITTLE GIRL CHASED AFTER OUR CAR! Holding a big basket running alongside the road & almost crying, just for SGD $1+??


It's very heartbreaking to see her expression. It's so pitiful Photobucket










Whoa! Deep deep abyss.




Don't I have a healthy glow? Hehehehe, it's all due to the Expression
mode of my camera.




Not only did Sila warn us of cheats, he also helped us save money! We gave him cash & he helped us make payment for lunch so that we don't have to pay the 21% gov tax.






It's a buffet style lunch, with the interior very culturally-oriented.






Hahaha dad's chewing.



I didn't enjoy the lunch at all... the food is not good + there're irritating flies flying around our table. Sweep them away & they'll return. I haven't been so irritated by flies ever before. Other tables doesn't seem to have this problem.



Full view of Mount Batur, one of the 2 volcanos in Bali.









We hadn't seen Sila the minute we stepped into the restaurant, I was too focus on the food cos I'm really hungry! And as before... after a long period of time without him, I got worried that he'll drive off. And I gotta emphasize that we're UP IN THE MOUNTAINS. What'd we do if he's not there?


Put yourself in my shoes... I'm the one organizing & facilitating everything. From the decision of airlines, to hotels, attractions, drivers, adventures... everything! My parents & sis just followed everything I planned without knowing anything. What if something is to go wrong?


I went out to look for him on the pretext of going out "for a walk" when we're ending lunch. For a moment my heart fell to my stomach cos it was raining, alot of ppl were crowded at the restaurant entrance for shelter, & there're hawkers pushing their stuff to ask me to buy. & I couldn't see Sila anywhere!













Thankfully... I spotted his car parked across the street after some time. I went back to ask them out, snap a few more photos & left. Someone in a uniform sheltered us across the street, & helped call Sila. Apparently he went elsewhere cheaper (& I bet yummier) for lunch. Sila half-runned back in a grin, say goodbye to his friends... & I felt the relief all over again Photobucket



Next stop: Spring temple (Tampak Siring)





Originally the plan is to go watch the famous Kecak dance. But if we were to watch that, we must leave for there right after lunch cos it takes 2hrs to get there. We decided we had enough of travelling in the car so asked Sila to bring us elsewhere. But I wanna catch the Kecak dance though Photobucket



They're wearing Sila's sarongs. He have extras in his car in case some temples don't provide them. Much more fancier than the previous temple we went to uh? 




I'm wearing the yellow scarf I bought in one of the stores at Goa Gajah. Style: Bohemian? Much like the style of 黎姿(Gigi Lai) in 珠光寶氣 when she went to Tibet.



Mum looks cute in this photo!







Many people were washing themselves in the water. I supposed that's the spring water that's good for them? Hmm... & that's me with the aviator I bought in Genting when I was 13. Ha! My memory very good right?


It has a crack in them already, but I'm still wearing it. That's how frugal I am!! What a virtue! Oh have I mentioned I normally wear my clothes 2 times before washing? I think in the future whoever marries me must've found gold cos I can help them save alot from my frugality. Photobucket (as if!)















According to Sila, that's the President's summer palace. And of cos being the tourist I am, I have to take a photo with it.












This is interesting... the blue thing you see is actually sand (I think), & it shifts! It kept swirling and moving & watching it is mind-boogling. Anyway, Sila said that if we managed to catch a glimpse of the eel, we're really lucky.


And really after awhile we saw it! Many people crowd around the pond trying to snap pictures. Sila said he's been drving tourists around for 14 years, & we're the 2nd family that he came with & saw the eel! Wonder if it's true... Dad doubt that it is though.






Ah hair flying all around the place after a whole day of touring.



Devoters praying. We're allowed to walk around, just remember not to walk in front of the ones praying (common sense!)




When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
When in other people's temple, respect their devotion to their God.






With our excellent drive, Sila. Email me for his contacts if you guys are travelling to Bali, I'm more than happy to give :)
















When leaving the temple, you'll pass by the marketplace as usual. Sila said leave us to do our shopping while he get the car, & he'll be waiting for us at the exit. We spent a long time here too. Originally I don't wanna buy anything... but I spotted frangipani clips & wanted to get them. One lady pulled mum's hand & wouldn't let her go until she buy her ashtrays Photobucket


Later, we saw colourful ceramic plates. Very beautiful too! From Rp 100,000 for 1, we bargained until Rp 100,000 for 4! So we bought from this lady... & the seller from the adjacent stall kept asking us to buy hers too, & kept decreasing her price just so we'd buy. So end up we bought another one to be "fair".


The maddening thing is we realised we bought it at an expensive price! We walked towards the end & their offer is like Rp 10000 each. But it's okay lah... still cheap.



Mirrors & decorations that'd have costs alot more in SG.



We have too much plastic bags that we've to buy a big bag to put them all into... else we really couldn't carry it home. And I dunno what's up with my expression.



This is the place where I reallyyyyyyy panic. Even though Sila proved to be trustworthy and honest many many times already, it's still natural instinct to feel fear. And this time we walked out & can't see his car even after searching the whole carpark!!


Turns out it's hidden at this really secluded area in the carpark. It really scare us all... we only have a camera, mum's bag & a bag full of shopping with us.





Last stop: Rice terraces


I wonder how they do that? You see this everywhere... women balancing stuff on their head. Can be clothes, a basin of water, even very very heavy stuff.



I remember very clearly terraces in geography textbooks. Finally I get to see them myself. But the grass is not that green cos it's the rainy reason when we went. It'd be a sight to see in April.






It's obvious that the jumpsuit I'm wearing is not my size. I bought it in UK 8 cos mine is OOS & I really liked it. I always do this... once I even bought a top in UK 14 & alter it afterwards!



We only stayed there for like 10 min, nothing much to see & everyone is tired already. So we made our way to the 2nd accomodation- our villa for the next 2 days!








Passed by these stores on the way. I didn't manage to take a picture of the store which sells dozens of mirrors & ceramic bowls, because we drove pass them before I could whip out my camera. They're reallyyyyy beautiful, those reflective, colourful ornaments.


Abrupt ending, video of my villa next! Photobucket




No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails