Nuffnang

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Bali: The Land of Gods

Bali, Indonesia
01- 04 Dec 2010


So, Alicia, you're finally blogging about your Bali trip huh?

Sorry guys! I know I've delayed it long enough already. Just the thought of editing the pics, renaming & resizing is enough to deter me. Know what my sis wrote on her blog? "Maybe she'll post in another next two years, that's what she did to our hk trip." WTF LOL! Got such a laugh outta me! Aiya... that's because your pretty blogger is very VERY lazy.











Whenever we go on holidays, mum will be the typical kiasu Singaporean, insisting to reach 2 hours before the flight like what the travel agent instructed. This time, I'm the one who planned the whole itinery (which is a big feat for me really). And also our 1st time going Free & Easy!


Oh btw, I went in the middle of my school term. Which means the term has not come to an end yet. On the day of my flight, I have school until 1pm. Went back home for lunch, then head off to Bugis Street with Joz (we're still a couple then). Reason being I wanted to grab a pair of sandals for water rafting becos it's stated there to wear sandals. Mum said slippers will do, but its just me to follow every detail.


Am I the kiasu one here? Photobucket






Here's me pushing the luggage trolley, when in fact its Joz who did it





We didn't agree on a colour beforehand! It's just coincidence that both my parents & I wore green. Cute uh? It'll be funny if sis wore green too.










Terminal 1 used to be known to me as the most beautiful terminal, with the most pretigious airlines, fountains & orchids etc. And it's the terminal used by TCS/Mediacorp in their airport scenes, remember? But that time I went, it wasn't like that anymore. They're undergoing renovation so it looks very very small.


Terminal 3 is now the one on a world class level. I remember the 1st time I visited & was so impressed!




Before entering the boarding gates... excited excited! Dad was surprised Joz didn't go in with us cos he thought all along he's joining our family trip.



Ah... too much green stuff over here.









It's just nice to reach the airport 1hr before flight. Recalled the times where I was a child & the 2hr we had to while off is just terribly slow. But with this said, in the end I'm so afraid we'll miss our flight cos I waited till the last minute before walking towards our gate.


Of course nothing dramatic happened... we boarded the plane smoothly.


We sat KLM, & all of the cabin crew are foreigners, mostly caucasians. The stewards are much more friendly and professional than the stewardesses, who are really snobbish and rude. For example the female flight attendants can don't look at you in the eye, or ask "Are you done with those?" WITHOUT SALUTATIONS. I wonder if they only treat Asians with such impudence?


HELLO! Ultimately you're still the one serving me eh!





Most of the passengers are caucasians too, just one look over the boarding hall & you'll know. It's just a short flight of about 2hrs.








Because Dad is getting increasingly busy in December, I had a hard time bargaining with him the duration of this holiday. Originally it's 1st-3rd, then change to 2nd to 4th, but what's the point of staying for just 2 nights right?

When I finally managed to persuade him to add another day, he changed his mind again. I was so exasperated!! But eventually I had my way, although I know he'll be worried about work while he's gone.


He wanted to fly on 2nd Dec, but there's no KLM flights on that day, only Jetstar. And it's more expensive than KLM. Like wtf? Why would you wanna PAY MORE to sit a BUDGET AIRLINE? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. So eventually I book our flight on the 1st. 



My cute mum :)






Video in dutch subtitles




Ah finally it's take-off!








Is this the Straits of Malacca? Just think it's pretty... & I had to try out my new camera!













Enough of scenery shots. Now time for shots of myself!!






Just for photography's sake. These glasses are super redundant cos I can jolly well just pull down the pane to block out the sunrays! What a bimbo!



Got bored of snapping, & also figured I can watch a movie before landing.



They have a wide array of movies, music & other stuff to choose from for your entertainment. I chose movies, & even then it's tough choosing which to watch. End up deciding on Knight & Day, which I haven't watched before







Dinner time! And the meal is fabulous, for an in-flight meal in economy class.








There's not enough time to watch the whole of the movie! And I fell asleep halfway through it.

After 2.5hrs, we arrived at the Land of Gods! It was already 8pm+. Obviously I knew it beforehand & had already made all the reservations for accomodation. And I arranged for hotel pickup even though it's relatively easy to get a taxi to bring us around (know this from tripadvisor). Mum's scaring tactics doesn't help too... she kept doubting if it's safe to travel on our own.


I think deep down I'm really a timid and apprehensive person. I rather pay abit more to ensure our safety. Actually I'm also pessimeistic by nature. So, when we walk out the arrival hall, I kept thinking things will somehow conk up. Dad asked me the same question I asked myself, "What if there's no one to pick us up?" even though I tripled-confirm with the hotel already.


Eventually we looked for a long time amidst the sea of whiteboards/papers for my name, & there I found it! We were sooooo relieved. Our driver were very keen on us using his services to tour around the next day, but unfortunately we'd made plans for another driver already Photobucket





The roads of bali is similar to that of Malaysia. They're not like what I pictured before I come to this country. I dunno why but it's just not what I expected. Bali to me is a haven full of villas and resorts, like a sanctuary.

But their streets are really quite rugged and undeveloped. I only saw a Cartier once when we enter the country, & that's it.




There's a thing I have to share:
Because mum don't really know the exchange rate when we reach, she doesn't know how much ringgits = SGD. So when tipping the driver, she clumsily gave him $3k ringgit, which is effectively about 50cents! She realised how funny it is after she had a grasp of the exchange rate.





This is the hotel we stayed at for the 1st night. It's a boutique hotel under Aston. I figured since we'll be reaching at 9pm+, & we'll be leaving at 9am the next morning, might as well just sleep at a normal hotel on the 1st day. Part of the reason is also becos the next hotel we're gonna be staying at is full for the 1st, if only I can be a few minutes faster in booking! Just wait till you see the next accomodation~











But despite this being a boutique hotel, it really exceeded my expectations! Of course I'd read through reviews on it before booking, (I spent a good hell of a time reading reviews of hotels & attractions) & the reviews are really good for this one.


It was value for money, really. I booked a one-bedroom suite for my parents, & another for sis & I. When we arrived, we were served welcome drinks & wet towels while they prepared our room keys. The only thing I don't like is the crampy lift which was reaalllyyyy small.











The TV can be swirled!



So that I could watch it in bed too :)



Had a quick bath, then quickly contacted Wendy & Joz. Was supposed to hand in my advertorial on the 1st, but Wendy was nice to give me another day's allowance. Skyped with Joz for awhile before he went to bed cos he's having his exams the next day.



Opps! You spotted it!



My beloved Starstar. Haha I have to bring at least one of my precious when I'm not sleeping in my own bed. That's the kiddy side of me you see now Photobucket I think I'll remain like this even when I'm well over 25.



Dad & mum's room was on the 5th floor, ours on the 2nd becos they don't have adjourning rooms. We went up & ordered room service cos we were very hungry!


Prices were reasonable too. I think one coke costs SGD $2+? And my baileys costs around $11. I forgot how much dad's pasta & pizza costs already, I only remember the total is around SGD $40 but all were quite reasonable.



Oh God, my dark eye circles are horrible (it's getting worse as I'm typing this entry at 6.57am)



This bed is seriously as comfortable as I seem to be. You can fall asleep almost as soon as you lie on it. Well, my dad did.







Eh sorry that's my mum snapping ugly candid pictures of myself. I had almost a whole pizza to myself, I think I ate 5 slices? Actually I ordered calamari, but the staff misheard it & delivered pizza instead. But WTF it's very yummy I just took slice after slice. Arrggg, very unglam I know!



Then it's relaxing with my baileys (I just realised when we got back how cheap baileys costs! I spent $11 for that pathetic few drops, or around $17 in SG, when I could buy ONE WHOLE LITRE with just $27!! Fuming mad!)









The next morning,







GOOD MORNIN', Y'ALL! Photobucket






There's a sofa or two outside our suite (I dunno why they call it suite when it's actually not that big). Faster take pictures meant for the advertorial, post it up & then prepare to have breakfast.


This is the pool when we look down from our corridor. I doubt anybody would swim in it though, you'll know why later.




Here I reveal another childish side of me. Ain't my toothbrush holder cute?? I bring it around when I stay overnight at friend's or my granny's house. Everybody knows its mine & they refer it as the "Panda"



Breakfast ain't fantastic, not alot of varieties.



The man cooking you the kind of eggs you'll like to have



Here's why nobody will be swimming. Becos it's just right beside the restaurant! Ah I guess you readers are used to seeing my nude face already uh? This is actually one of the better looking photos of me sans makeup & without editing. No visible dark eye circles too, hurray! (it's probably becos of the light or shadow)



As you can see, all the customers are caucasians. I know angmohs really love going to Bali, but I don't know there're SO many of them!




As if the room is not value for money enough, there is even a complimentary 15-min foot massage included! What a plesant surprise! So after breakfast, we went for a really short one, about 10min each because our driver is about to arrive.






Can you believe our masseuse is of the same age as me? While chatting I found out her monthly salary is only USD $150. Photobucket It's so little! But then I realised the people there are very simple and lead a very idyllic life. So young & she's already working to provide for her family. And I haven't even graduated, & won't be starting work for the next 3 years while I complete my studies. Sigh...



Hurriedly went back to my room too prepare, change & there our driver is, in the lobby! He's waited for us for a good 30min, very punctual, but shamefully I'm not Photobucket


What's there in store for us for the day trip I planned?


Stay tuned to find out! Photobucket




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

may i ask what school are u from? thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi. Where did you normally buy your cardigans, those long knitted ones? I saw you wearing them at the older posts.

Alicia said...

Anony 6.57: Ngee Ann Poly

Anony 12.10: I don't have alot of cardigans actually... the long one you see is from Promod :)

Anonymous said...

What course are you in?

Anonymous said...

Would like to know you better... Can have your contact num??

Anonymous said...

What is ur contact num?? Would like to date you out..

stepfanie said...

hi can i knnow ur seat no for klm? cos im goin over next month and would really hope can get ur seat as teh view is so nice :D how to hear from you soon.

Bali Investment said...

nice trip to Bali Alice we hope you enjoy it, regard from Bali ^_^

travel2bali said...

Great Photos but it will more nice if you post some of temples or other object that you have visited while you in Bali so your friend will know how actually Bali is, thanks and hope to see you again in Bali

Bali Hotels said...

Great post, i love it

Related Posts with Thumbnails